Thursday, June 12, 2008

Owen's Marshmallow Chick

Recently we checked out some board books from the library that my son loves. They are a set of food-centered books by Kevin Henkes. The three books of this set that we have looked at are Owen's Marshmallow Chick, Julius's Candy Corn, and Lilly's Chocolate Heart.


These books have wonderful illustrations and fun stories. Each features a mouse as the main character and some kind of food/candy.

In Owen's Marshmallow Chick, Owen receives a variety of candy in his Easter basket. He declares each type of candy to be his favorite before he "eats them up". My son loves that part and he says it with me every time. The exception is the marshmallow chick, which Owen doesn't eat... he plays with it instead.

In Julius's Candy Corn, Julius is having a Halloween party and his mom tells him not to eat the cupcakes she baked until his friends come for the party. So Julius "counts" the candy corn instead. As my son says "he ate 'em!".

Lilly's Chocolate Heart is about the Lilly trying to find a place to keep her chocolate heart. The best place she finds is... you guessed it, her mouth!

These books are fun to read, and my son never gets tired of them. He asks me to read them over and over again. I think that these three books are great because they also bring up different holidays/seasons. I would not hesitate to give these books to any preschooler as a gift. I hope to be able to find the other two books to see if they are as good as these three. Has anyone read Wemberly's Ice Cream Star or Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick? If you have, let me know what you think of them!

No comments: