Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?


I could recite this entire book to you because I have been asked to read it so many times! How does a dinosaur clean up his room? With a big bucketloader, or shovel, or broom? Actually, my two-year-old could probably recite most of this book for you too!

This book is part of a "How Do Dinosaurs..." series written by Jane Yolen and illustrated by Mark Teague.

In this book, various kinds of dinosaurs demonstrate how to (or how not to) pick up their toys and clean up their rooms. The book has a great rhythm and is fun to read aloud. The illustrations are hilarious and have a retro feel to them.

This book was on sale at Kohl's a while back and I seriously regret that I didn't buy it then. I think that the dinosaurs hold a great appeal for kids, especially little boys. Plus they model behaviors that you want your kids to learn.

There are many other books in this series. Here are some of the bookfonts:


I'm not quite sure exactly how many of these books there are now. Has anyone read any of these books? I would be interested to know if there are some that you absolutely love, or do not like at all. I'll have to keep my eye out for a set of these "di-so-saur" books for my little boys.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erika said...

We have "get well soon", "count to ten", "go to bed" and "eat their food." My favorites are go to bed and eat their food. Count to ten was kind of a disappointment b/c the writing wasn't cute and witty like the other books. The pictures were cute, of course. The get well soon one includes the dinosaur going to the doctor and now my daughter calls the doctor a "doc". :) Cute series. I'm glad to see there are more!

Erika said...

Oh, I guess it's "say goodnight" not "go to bed."

Honey Mommy said...

We just checked out "say goodnight" from the library and my son really likes it too.

Thanks for letting me know that "count to ten" was a bit disappointing. If I purchase these then I will be sure to avoid that one!

Jane said...

This series of books is great because they show the dinosaurs acting up and then show them acting right in the situations that all young children have trouble with (going to bed when asked, being fearful at the doctor's, etc.) I think the books work because dinosaurs are so facinating to all ages. Using people would not have been as effective. Be sure to note that the names of the dinosaurs are cleverly shown in the illustrations in small print on each page. This helps children learn the names and distinguish between them. I also think it is great that the illustrations do not always fit the normal colors many of us think of when we think of dinosaurs. It is good to teach children at a young age that we don't know what color their skin was. I have read that scientists now are thinking that they may have been brightly colored in some cases rather than just brown and green.