Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fancy Nancy

Since I don't have any girls (and thus not many books on girlish topics), my sister (who has three daughters) recommended this book to me. It is called Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor.

Her daughters LOVE this book and after reading it I can see why. Nancy loves everything fancy; from pink boas to sparkling tiarras, from her frilly room to her lacy socks, and even high heels....but alas, her family is SO plain. They don't even ask for sprinkles on their ice cream! So Nancy invites them to lessons on how to be fancy. Her family willingly goes along with the lessons and then go out for a night on the town all dressed up.

They are all having a fabulous time when there is a food disaster (or so it seems to Nancy) that puts a damper on the evening. Nancy finds out that her family loves her even when they end up spattered with ice cream sundaes... and that there isn't a fancy way to say "I love you".

The illustrations by Robin Priess-Glasser are every bit as fancy as the story and are a wonderful addition to the book. This is a great book for the little drama queen in every little girl.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Fancy Nancy is great. One of those little girls really is a lot like Fancy Nancy. It is a good lesson for her and other children who think their parents don't quite add up to their expectations.

Jane said...

There are at least five more Fancy Nancy titles. Some have stickers and some are beginning readers. Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy is a big hit with the elementary school library patrons. Check them out at the library or bookstores. I highly recommend them all.

Jeanette said...

My favorite part is the very last page when her parents say "I love you" and all Fancy Nancy says back is "I love you because there isn't a fancy or better way of saying that"

Erika said...

I just checked this out from the library. My husband thought it was hilarious. Very cute.

Andrea - said...

Love Fancy Nancy! My 5 year old niece is into big words and fancy things. Fancy Nancy was an extraordinary hit with her! (And if she were here, she would tell us all what extraordinary means!) :)